Apr 14, 2010

Manifesto

So I've finally decided to start a food blog. For this you can blame my cousin.

What this is not

This is not a recipe blog. I may include amounts of ingredients at times; usually I won't. If you're looking for something that specifies 1 3/8 cups of sugar or some such, this is generally not for you. I assume a basic knowledge of how ingredients work together and thus just hand you general guidelines.

Having said that, I will occasionally specify amounts. It usually means I'm still unsure of the recipe myself. But I won't post something that didn't at least work.

But I do know what I'm doing

I make New Mexican food, Mediterranean food, Chinese food (usually coastal or fusion), Thai food, and sometimes just plain weird fusion. Usually it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. And I'll admit to that when it inevitably comes to pass..

Baking

I don't bake. It never works for me. Any baking post should be considered suspect and not just because I live at 5,000'. It isn't my strong point and never will be.

Influences and resources

Joy is my bible. If you don't have a copy, get one.

My mother lived in both Europe and Taiwan during her childhood. Whatever she learned she passed on to me.

Huntley Dent's Feast of Santa Fe is phenomenal and if you don't own a copy I'd highly recommend it.

Alton Brown's work has been influential on me. Both his show and his books have been quite illuminating though I don't always agree with his approach to a given recipe. Along with that, Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking has been an amazing resource.

I hate to admit it, but Bobby Flay has been helpful from time to time. Giada de Laurentis has as well, though I still maintain that she doesn't really follow her own recipes.

Madhur Jafrey has also been very helpful.

Ingredients

  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Goat cheese
  • Olive oil
  • Sesame oil/seeds
  • Garlic
  • Coriander
  • Turmeric
  • Lemon
  • Various vinegars
  • Bell peppers
  • Fresh spinach (thanks to the girl)
  • Ginger
  • Fruits, especially berries and citrus
  • Powdered peppers
  • Sriracha
  • Pastas of all sorts
  • Kalamata olives
  • Cheese ranging from a good loaf of goat cheese to a pound of cojack or cheddar to a bit of good blue. Reggiano is never bad and asiago is a great substitute. Feta is currently my favorite for salads.
  • Yogurt
  • Bagels
  • Bacon
  • Sausage -- preferably Italian and hot

Photos

So it turns out that I'm also a half decent photographer. Of things that aren't food. Consider a photo a luxury.

I don't even like the plating process. Making food pretty seems very secondary to making it taste good.

And about me

I live in Denver with a cat and a woman I love very deeply. I more or less grew up here, but have also lived in Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Kansas, Massachusetts, and the Republic of Georgia (the one where Stalin was born, not the one in the US).

1 comment:

  1. JB- I cannot wait to get to know your culinary side a little more. I'm already enjoying just the first few posts. Your parents got me a copy of Joy for my wedding. Its apparent that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree- in a good way :) Its still my favorite cookbook by far.

    ReplyDelete